“How can you not be optimistic?” Straight from the Omaha Oracle himself. This Thanksgiving we wanted to take the opportunity to practice gratitude and optimism by sharing our favorite bits from Warren Buffet’s recent interview on his view of optimism.
“Everything: medicine, education, you know, just the conveniences of the life, transportation, entertainment, everything is dramatically better than it was 50 years ago.”
Problems of Opportunity
“I think students are generally throughout the world getting a better education… …Is it as good as it can be? No… …We’re spending $10,000 or close to that a student per year in education so it isn’t from unwillingness to put the resources up. We just haven’t’ learned the best ways.”
So Much Growth, So Much Room To Grow
“If you told them [my parents] that their son was going to live in an America, in his lifetime, which real per capita GDP would go up 6 for 1 they would have said it’s going to be utopia. Now it isn’t utopia for many people, but that’s a distributional problem. We have the output for everybody to do well in this country, but a lot of people do get left behind.”
Small Changes Make A Big Difference
“Our children are going to live better than we live. During, in a political season to hear people say your children aren’t going to live as well as you do – that is total 100% nonsense. I mean, even at 2% GDP that’s over 1% per capita and in one generation that means the next generation is going to live 25% better than we live per capita in the United States.”
[To see the full text of the interview, click here]
Happy Thanksgiving From John & Max at Osbon Capital Management!
- This communication may include forward-looking statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are forward-looking statements (including words such as “believe,” “estimate,” “anticipate,” “may,” “will,” “should,” and “expect”). Although we believe that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, we can give no assurance that such expectations will prove to be correct. Various factors could cause actual results or performance to differ materially from those discussed in such forward-looking statements.”
- “Historical performance is not indicative of future results. The investment return will fluctuate with market conditions.
- Past performance is not indicative of any specific investment or future results. Views regarding the economy, securities markets or other specialized areas, like all predictors of future events, cannot be guaranteed to be accurate and may result in economic loss to the investor.
- Investment strategies, philosophies, allocations and holdings are subject to change without prior notice.
- This communication is intended to provide general information only and should not be construed as an offer of specifically tailored individualized advice.
- While the Adviser believes the outside data sources cited to be credible, it has not independently verified the correctness of any of their inputs or calculations and, therefore, does not warranty the accuracy of any third-party sources or information.
- Adviser does not endorse the statements, services or performance of any third-party vendor.
- Unless stated otherwise, any mention of specific securities or investments is for hypothetical and illustrative purposes only. Adviser’s clients may or may not hold the securities discussed in their portfolios. Adviser makes no representations that any of the securities discussed have been or will be profitable.