When we buy products or pay for services we expect the best. When it comes to your money manager how do you know he/she is constantly striving to deliver the best for you, namely, value well in excess of cost? Are you getting everything you expect and deserve? Consider these six service situations as a test.
Here’s how we look at service at Osbon Capital. All client information, communication, strategy, feedback, documentation, conversation, design, delivery, execution and verification must meet one or more of our ‘U’ standards. If it does, it stays, if it doesn’t it goes. Here’s our checklist with recent real life examples (all names are changed, of course):
- Urgent– “Peter, we’ve coordinated with your accountant to make sure he has all your investment tax information for your October 15th 1041 trust income tax return.”
- Unique– “Kerry, you can see your change in allocation over time and in color on your Osbon portal; it’s a movie of how changes have occurred in your allocation either directly by us or by changes in market values.”
- Useful– “Jim, we’ve just captured $50k in losses to offset gains and therefore reduce your taxes by $15k with no change in your allocation.”
- Ultra-specific– “Barbara, as we discussed, we monitor your account to make sure that there is always a cash balance of $30K available for withdrawal, and we just arranged for that $22k college tuition payment to be delivered to Brown University the day before your son arrives.”
- User-friendly– “Chuck, when you log into your Osbon Portal via OsbonCapital.com you will see performance and other metrics on all of your accounts including the ones not with Osbon Capital.”
- Unbiased– “Allan, when markets are as volatile as they have been recently, you can see exactly what it means for you through your account portal – on any day, no need to wait until quarter end. If you have any questions about what’s going on, just give us a call for a completely candid and unbiased discussion.”
Always raise your expectations
When you look closely at what you are receiving versus what you expect, it’s pretty easy to see if your advisor is tuned into your needs. If he/she can’t deliver on these six U’s or your other specific expectations, it’s time to consider other options.
John Osbon – firstname.lastname@example.org
This communication may include forward-looking statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are forward-looking statements (including words such as “believe,” “estimate,” “anticipate,” “may,” “will,” “should,” and “expect”). Although we believe that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, we can give no assurance that such expectations will prove to be correct. Various factors could cause actual results or performance to differ materially from those discussed in such forward-looking statements.”
“Historical performance is not indicative of future results. The investment return will fluctuate with market conditions.
Past performance is not indicative of any specific investment or future results. Views regarding the economy, securities markets or other specialized areas, like all predictors of future events, cannot be guaranteed to be accurate and may result in economic loss to the investor.
Investment strategies, philosophies, allocations and holdings are subject to change without prior notice.
This communication is intended to provide general information only and should not be construed as an offer of specifically tailored individualized advice.
While the Adviser believes the outside data sources cited to be credible, it has not independently verified the correctness of any of their inputs or calculations and, therefore, does not warranty the accuracy of any third-party sources or information.
Adviser does not endorse the statements, services or performance of any third-party vendor.
Unless stated otherwise, any mention of specific securities or investments is for hypothetical and illustrative purposes only. Adviser’s clients may or may not hold the securities discussed in their portfolios. Adviser makes no representations that any of the securities discussed have been or will be profitable.
Any IPO alerts are purely informational and should not be construed as recommendations to invest.
Adviser is not licensed to provide and does not provide legal, tax or accounting advice to clients. Advice of qualified counsel or accountant should be sought to address any specific situation requiring assistance from such licensed individuals.
Any case studies or hypothetical client profiles are for demonstration purposes only. They illustrate the breadth and depth of the many clients we represent at various life stages. Any similarities to actual Adviser’s clients past or present are strictly coincidental. Individual advice and results will vary based on each client’s circumstances, objectives and prevailing economic conditions.