It just wouldn’t be late December without Festivus, the holiday for the rest of us. This wonderful fake celebration became part of American lore in 1997 when Seinfeld’s Frank Costanza described its bare aluminum pole, Feats of Strength, and the special dinner devoted to the Airing of Grievances. While we wish you nothing but the happiest holiday season, let’s all take a moment to have a healthy laugh at ourselves with Financial Festivus for a moment.
As Frank told Jerry and the gang, “At the Festivus dinner, you gather your family around, and tell them all the ways they have disappointed you over the past year!” It’s absolute comedic brilliance, and a great annual excuse to clear the air. Substitute “the financial services industry” for family and Festivus can begin. Ready?
Airing of Grievances
Elections! Thank goodness the big one happens only every four years
Fees! Buried expenses and disguised fees…everywhere
Sales! Who’s selling and who’s advising?
Guessing! Still making predictions of oil between $20 and $200 per barrel.
Opaque! What happened to that transparency promise?
A fresh start in the New Year
Ah, it feels good to get those grievances out! And let’s be clear, we can all be a little or a lot guilty of some of them.
Reduce your grievance list for 2017 by promising yourself to root out those disappointments and replace them with satisfying solutions of your own.
Happy holidays to one and all!
Steve Mott – Guest Columnist & Osbon Capital Editor
- This communication may include forward-looking statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are forward-looking statements (including words such as “believe,” “estimate,” “anticipate,” “may,” “will,” “should,” and “expect”). Although we believe that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, we can give no assurance that such expectations will prove to be correct. Various factors could cause actual results or performance to differ materially from those discussed in such forward-looking statements.”
- “Historical performance is not indicative of future results. The investment return will fluctuate with market conditions.
- Past performance is not indicative of any specific investment or future results. Views regarding the economy, securities markets or other specialized areas, like all predictors of future events, cannot be guaranteed to be accurate and may result in economic loss to the investor.
- Investment strategies, philosophies, allocations and holdings are subject to change without prior notice.
- This communication is intended to provide general information only and should not be construed as an offer of specifically tailored individualized advice.
- While the Adviser believes the outside data sources cited to be credible, it has not independently verified the correctness of any of their inputs or calculations and, therefore, does not warranty the accuracy of any third-party sources or information.
- Adviser does not endorse the statements, services or performance of any third-party vendor.
- Unless stated otherwise, any mention of specific securities or investments is for hypothetical and illustrative purposes only. Adviser’s clients may or may not hold the securities discussed in their portfolios. Adviser makes no representations that any of the securities discussed have been or will be profitable.